Oven-baked pasta is one of the most beloved comfort food all around the world, for a reason. This particular oven-baked pasta is favorite brunch idea every weekend in my family. I hope you will enjoy it as well
ABOUT THE RECIPE
Yield: 8 servings
Prep time: 25 minutes
Baking time: 20 minutes
for the tomato sauce:
- 1 onion
- 1 1/2 cups tomato juice (or passata works just as well)
- 2 tsp. dry herbs (basil, oregano)
- 2 tsp. sweet paprika
- 2 tsp. chopped black olives
- salt and pepper to taste
for the bechamel sauce
- 30g. butter
- 30g. flour
- 2 cups (~500ml.) milk
- 1 tsp. freshly grounded nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
to make the casserole
- 400g. dry pasta
- ~50g. melting cheese
- Start by sauteing the finely chopped onion.
- Once it’s translucent, add in the tomato juice/passata and all the seasoning, bring it to the boil, then lower the heat to low and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- To make the bechamel sauce, simply melt the butter in a saucepan, add in the flour and stir until the two are well incorporated, than add the milk and the seasoning and continue cooking on low heat stirring constantly until the mixture thickens and becomes nice and creamy.
- Cook the pasta in a salted boiling water, according to the instructions from the package.
- Once almost cooked, add the pasta in the tomato sauce, stir well to coat all pasta in the sauce.
- To assemble the pasta casserole, start by layering one third of the pasta in the casserole, than add third of the bechamel spreading it evenly on top of the pasta and grate the melting cheese.
- Continue making layers of pasta, bechamel and cheese until they are all used in the dish.
- Bake for about 20 minutes in a 180C preheated oven.
- Once baked, make sure the dish cools down for about 10 minutes before slicing yourself a serving and enjoying it.
For more details on how to make this recipe, check the video recipe below.