This garlic and herbs bread is a wonderful way to make the everyday bread a little more special. It does take a little more time and attention but it’s well worth it!
ABOUT THE RECIPE
Yield: 10 servings
Prep time: 10 minutes
Resting time: 45 minutes
Baking time: 30 minutes
For the dough:
- 330ml. warm milk
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- 14g. active dry yeast
- 600g. flour, all-purpose
- 2 tbsp. oil (I used vegetable oil)
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1 fresh egg
- 1 tsp. salt
For the filling:
- 90g. unsalted butter
- 3 cloves of garlic,
- bunch of parsley
- 30g. parmesan, shredded
- Start by activating the yeast in milk and sugar.
- When the yeast is activated add it in to the flour, along with the salt and the oil.
- Start mixing with your fingers. Once the wet ingredients are incorporated and the dough is too dry, add the warm water.
- Transfer the dough to a floured surface and knead for up to ten minutes or until the dough becomes smooth and soft.
- Cover the dough and let it prove in a warm place for about 45 minutes.
- Cut the dough in three equal parts and roll each of them roughly the size of the pan you are going to use.
- To prepare the filling simply mix all the ingredients in a food processor until all the ingredients are nicely chopped and mixed.
- Spread half of the filling on top of the first rolled dough, leaving about one-two inch around the edge.
- Cover with the second rolled dough, then spread the rest of the filling on top of the second rolled dough.
- Cover with the third rolled dough. First mark and then cut the dough in 16 equal parts making sure the center of the dough is holding each piece in place. Then twist two pieces (one next to the other) on the outside twice, pinch the ends of the two pieces and tuck them under. Repeat with all other pieces until you get a beautifully shaped flower-like bread.
- Transfer the bread in a well-greased baking tin, leave it to rest for another 15 minutes, then brush with the beaten egg.
- Bake in a 180C preheated oven for about 30 minutes or until golden on the top.
For more details on how to make this recipe, check the video recipe below.