Nothing speaks comfort quite as homemade apple pie! Made by traditional recipe, the flaky crust and perfectly moist apple filling, are just what we need to celebrate the apple season.
ABOUT THE RECIPE
Yield: app.10 servings
Prep time: 20 minutes
Baking time: 40 minutes in total
Resting time: 30 minutes
For the pastry
- 250 g. all-purpose flour
- 125 g. unsalted butter
- 4 tbsp. ice-cold water
- Pinch of salt
- 1 egg, for the egg wash
For the filling
- 5-6 medium apples
- juice from 1/2 lemon
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. grated nutmeg
- 2 tbsp. flour
- 2 tbsp. sugar
- Start by preheating the oven on 180C/365F.
- Grease well your pie dish (mine was 22cm) and cover the bottom with baking paper.
- Make sure that the flour, and the butter are very cold, I keep them in the freezer for min.15 minutes before using them.
- Combine the flour, the salt and the butter in a food processor by pulsing for about a minute, then add the water and pulse for another minute or two or until the mix resembles bread crumbs and sticks together when pinched between the fingers.
- Pour the mix on a clean surface and knead gently just until all the bits and pieces come together.
- Wrap it in clean foil and leave it in the fridge to rest for at least 30 minutes, preferably more than that.
- Once rested, divide the dough in half, using one half for the bottom crust of the pie, and the second for the upper decorations. While working with the first half, keep the second in the fridge wrapped in foil.
- Sprinkle the work surface with flour and roll the first half of the dough until about 3-4mm. thick.
- Carefully transfer the rolled dough in the pie dish, making sure it fits well in the corners. Pierce it with a fork.
- Place baking paper filled with baking rice (or you can also use beans) on top of the dough, to prevent it from rising while in the oven.
- Blind bake it for about 10 minutes, then remove the baking rice, coat the dough with egg wash and bake it for another 10 minutes.
- To make the filling, peel and slice the apples and sprinkle with lemon juice to prevent them from going brown. Add the flour, sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg and mix everything together.
- Roll the second half of the dough and cut leaf shape decorations from it using a butter knife.
- Pour the filling in the pie dish and cover with the decorations.
- Coat the leaves with the remaining egg wash and bake the pie for about 15-20 minutes or until the top of the pie is golden brown.
- Let it cool slightly before serving.