Light, creamy, soft and simply delicious, this zucchini and mint gnocchi made from scratch will make you smile and enjoy every second of the meal. Seriously, these gnocchi are that good and if you want to practice portion control, do yourself a favor and freeze the excess gnocchi before cooking, they will be the perfect weeknight dinner ready in minutes.
ABOUT THE RECIPE
Yield: 3 servings
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: ~35 minutes
for the gnocchi (3 servings):
- ~400g. potatoes
- 1 egg yolk
- 50g. flour plus some more for dusting
- salt and pepper to taste
for the sauce:
- 3 medium zucchini
- few sprigs of mint
- zest of a lemon
- knob of butter
- 2 tbsp. vegetable oil
- ~20g. parmesan to grate on top
- To make the gnocchi, simply cook the potatoes, starting in cold water, bringing the water to a boil and cook for approximately 20 minutes depending on the size of your potatoes.
- Once cooked, drain them and leave them in a colander to cool.
- When the potatoes are cool enough to handle, peel them and mash well.
- Add in the seasoning, the egg and the flour and mix with fork, until fairly mixed, than transfer to a clean surface and squeeze the potato crumbs into a ball.
- Cut the ball into about four-five pieces, and roll each of them in a sausage form. Cut the roll in every 1in/2cm long gnocchi. At this stage the fresh gnocchi is ready to cook or freeze.
- To cook the gnocchi simply put them in a boiling salted water, and withing few minutes the cooked gnocchi will float at the surface.
- To make the sauce is very simple. Cut the zucchini in little strips, and saute them in a hot pan with some butter and oil. Season the zucchini and cook for about 3-4 minutes, before adding the cooked gnocchi in, along with the lemon zest and the chopped mint.
- Keep cooking in a medium heat for another 10 minutes or until both the zucchini and the gnocchi develop a little bit of color.
- Serve the dish with a fresh grated parmesan and some lemon juice. Enjoy!
For more details on how to make this recipe, check the video recipe below.