The Zebra cake has always been my favorite for two reasons: you get to make a lot of mess which ends up looking beautiful and you get to have a delicious treat. This recipe makes the most tender, not too moist, not too dry, but just right cake consistency, the kind you crave for after a long day at work.
ABOUT THE RECIPE
Yield: 12 generous servings
Prep time: 15 minutes
Baking time: 30 minutes
- 300g. flour (all-purpose or cake flour)
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 250ml. vegetable oil
- 250g. sugar
- 100ml. milk
- 4 fresh eggs, at room temperature
- 1 tbsp. vanilla
- 30g. cocoa
- Start by preheating the oven to 180C/360F.
- To make the batter mix together the sugar, the eggs, the oil and the milk.
- Once all these ingredients are well incorporated, divide the batter in half, between two mixing bowls Make sure that both bowls have roughly equal quantity of the batter.
- In one of the bowls add the vanilla, 1 tsp of baking powder and 170g. flour.
- Mix all the ingredients well, this will be your vanilla batter.
- In the other bowl, add the cocoa, 1 tsp. baking powder and 130g. flour.
- Again mix well the ingredients, this will be your chocolate batter.
- Grease an 11in springform tin, cover with parchment paper and grease the paper as well.
- Then start by pouring one tablespoon of the white batter in the middle of the pan. On top of it add one tablespoon of the chocolate mixture. Continue adding one tablespoon of each of the batter, one on top of the other until you use all the batter.
- Bake the cake for about 30 minutes, more or less depending of your oven, just until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Let it cool down for a minute then remove it from the pan and share it with your loved ones.
For more details on how to make this recipe, check the video recipe below.