This beautiful Yule Log cake is all about Christmas, winter and nature. It looks like piece of art, something you can use as a centerpiece for Christmas, but make no mistake, it’s chocolaty deliciousness at its best. You only need a handful of ingredients.
ABOUT THE RECIPE
Yield: 15 servings
Prep time: 20 minutes
Baking time: 15 minutes
Cooling time: 20 minutes
for the dough:
- 4 eggs (whites and yolks separated)
- 150g. sugar (30 and 120 separated)
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 120g. flour
For the filling:
- 150g. chocolate
- 100ml. cream (very warm)
For the decoration:
- 80g. chocolate
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- To make the dough, start by beating the egg whites with 30 g. sugar, until stiff picks are formed.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg yolks with the rest of the sugar, until pale and creamy. Add in the vanilla.
- In the egg yolks and sugar mixture add half of the flour, fold it until the ingredients are well combine, then add one third of the egg whites, fold it in, then add the rest of the flour, fold the flour in as well, and add the rest of the egg whites folding them in.
- Once all ingredients are well combined, spread the batter in a large baking tin, lined with parchment paper and sprinkled with powdered sugar.
- Bake it for about 15 minutes.
- Once baked, lay the cake on a kitchen towel generously sprinkled with powdered sugar, and remove the parchment paper.
- Roll the cake along with the towel while it’s still warm. Let it cool down.
- In the meantime, prepare the filling by mixing the chocolate with the warm cream.
- Mix until the chocolate is melted and you have a nice spreading consistency.
- To make the decorative curls, melt the chocolate and spread it on a parchment paper.
- Roll the parchment paper the same way you did with the dough and let it cool down in the fridge for about 20 minutes.
- Once cool unfold the parchment paper and the chocolate will naturally break and form nice shavings.
- Unroll the baked roll, spread most of the filling all over and roll it back again.
- Cut about 1in/2cm of the ends.
- To make the roll look like a yule log, cut 1/3 of the roll and place it next to the larger piece in a way that it resembles a log.
- Use the rest of the filling to cover the rolls, spreading it evenly all over.
- Place the decorative chocolate shavings on top of the cake.
- Sprinkle with icing sugar.
For more details on how to make this recipe, check the video recipe below.