We all love dessert for breakfast, we all role our eyes to 100% whole wheat recipes and we are always glad to stumble upon a recipe that is both healthy and delicious! Well, I have one for you – 100% whole wheat pancake recipe topped with a handful of caramelized strawberries! Come on, let me tell you how it’s made.
ABOUT THE RECIPE
Yield: 6 servings
Prep time: 5-10 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
For the pancake batter
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tbsp. vegetable oil + some more for greasing
- 2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 fresh egg
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tbsp. vanilla sugar
for the topping (1 serving):
- handful of strawberries
- 1 tsp. brown sugar
- To make these pancakes is super easy and straightforward. Mix the dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Mix the wet ingredients separately. It’s important to separately mix the wet from the dry ingredients because that way when you combine the two, you wouldn’t need to mix long to combine, which is really important for the pancakes to be soft instead of tough.
- Once mixed separately, add the wet to the dry ingredients and whisk just until the two are well combined. It’s OK if there are few lumps left, not over-mixing the batter is the key to delicious pancakes.
- In a hot pan, add a touch of oil and a ladle of the batter (mine was approx. 1/3 cup in volume).
- Cook the pancake for few minutes until you see little bubbles popping out on the surface, than flip and cook for few more minutes on the other side.
- To make the caramelized strawberry topping, simply chop some strawberries (fresh or frozen) heat them on the pan, add some brown sugar, cook for few minutes and serve on top of your delicious pancakes.
For more details on how to make this recipe, check the video recipe below.