Fresh strawberries in a savory rice dish? It is a little bit not traditional, but believe me, so delicious! People usually think it’s like a dessert recipe made into savory one, but no, not a hint of dessert in here, just well balanced savory flavors. Plus it’s ready in no time, what’s not to like about that?
ABOUT THE RECIPE
Yield: 1 serving
Prep time: few minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
- 1/2 cup of rice
- 1/2 cup of strawberries
- 1/2 of medium onion, finely chopped
- ~800 ml. vegetable stock
- pinch of salt
- 2 tbsp. vegetable oil
- To make the strawberry risotto dish, start by sauteing the chopped onion on a medium heat with some vegetable oil. Once the onion is soft, add in the rice and toast it for a minute, than start adding a ladle spoon at a time of hot vegetable stock. You can if you like use a half of cup white wine instead of stock at this point, so that the alcohol will have the time to evaporate, but I decided to go with all stock this time.
- Stir frequently until the moisture has been almost fully soaked by the rice, and than add another ladle of hot stock.
- Continue stirring and adding liquid until the rice is almost cooked, at which point add the chopped strawberries, and continue cooking until the rice is fully cooked and creamy.
- The entire cooking process takes no longer than 20 minutes, maybe even less if you like your rice al dente.
- Serve with some more fresh strawberries and maybe a few drops of good quality balsamic vinegar. Enjoy!
For more details on how to make this recipe, check the video recipe below.