Why would anyone like to bake pretzels at home? Because these pretzels are just that good! So soft and delicious! They are so easy to make, and take much less time than most breads and pastries.
ABOUT THE RECIPE
Yield: 12 balls
Prep time: 20 minutes
Baking time: 12 minutes
Resting time: 60 minutes
- 300 g. flour
- 180 ml. water
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- 10 g. active dry yeast
- 1 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1tsp. salt
- 1 egg (for the egg wash)
- coarse salt to sprinkle on top
- 2l. water
- 50g. baking soda
- To make these soft pretzel balls at home start by activating the yeast in the water with the sugar dissolved inside.
- Pour the activated yeast along with the salt and the oil in the flour and mix with mixer or by hand until the ingredients are well incorporated and the dough starts to pull away from the sides of the mixing bowl.
- Put the dough in a well greased bowl, cover and let it rise for about one hour, it will double in size.
- Once the dough has risen, transfer it to a lightly floured surface and knead it shortly just until it is no longer sticky and it’s much easier to work with. Form it into small balls.
- Bring the water to boil, add the baking soda in and cook the pretzels balls in the water for about 30 seconds on each side. Don’t crowd the balls, up to three-four at a time is OK.
- Place the balls in a well greased baking tin, brush with egg wash, slice on top, sprinkle with coarse salt and bake in a 200C/400F preheated oven for 10-15 minutes or until they develop beautiful color.
For more details on how to make this recipe, check the video recipe below.