This cake is the definition of a soft and moist, not too sweet, but delicious cake. It takes a handful of ingredients and it’s so easy to make! The best part is the moment when you stop your breath to lift the pan up and discover how beautiful the cake you just bake is!
ABOUT THE RECIPE
Yield: 10 servings
Prep time: 20 minutes
Baking time: 45 minutes
For the cake:
- 1 1/2 cup of flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs (separated)
- 1/2 cup milk
- 110g. butter (~8tbsp.)
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- Pinch of salt
For the topping:
- 50g. butter (~4 tbsp.)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2-3 pears (any variety will do)
- Start by preheating your oven to 180 C.
- To make the batter, sift the flour, the baking powder and the salt and set aside.
- In a clean bowl whisk the egg whites and set aside.
- In another bowl whisk together the butter and the sugar until pale and creamy, than add the egg yolks one at a time.
- Once the egg yolks are well incorporated, add the flour and the milk, bit by bit, alternating between the one and the other, mixing continuously.
- Fold gently the egg whites into the batter.
- In an oven-safe pan melt the butter and add the brown sugar to caramelize.
- Once combined, start lining the slices of the pears in a circle until all the surface is covered.
- Gently transfer the batter on top of the pears trying not to disturb the pear slices.
- Bake for 45 minutes, then while it is still warm flip the pan, having the serving dish on top of it, and pull up to discover the cake.
For more details on how to make this recipe, check the video recipe below.