Looking for a vegetarian dish which everybody will love? I have just the recipe for you. Mushroom and eggplant filled cannelloni casserole, topped with delicious bechamel sauce and your favorite melting cheese, baked in an oven and ready to serve in about an hour.
ABOUT THE RECIPE
Yield: 6-8 servings
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Baking time: 30 minutes
- ~400 g. oven ready cannelloni
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- ~50 g. melting cheese
for the bechamel sauce:
- 30 g. butter
- 30 g. flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 tsp. grated nutmeg
for the filling:
- ~400 g. mushrooms
- 1 medium egg plant
- 1 onion
- 1 carrot
- 2-3 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 tin plum tomatoes (~400g.)
- 2 cups water
- 1 stock cube
- salt & black pepper to taste
- 1 tsp. grated ginger
- 1 tbsp. sweet smoked paprika
- handful of parsley
- To make the delicious mushrooms and eggplant cannelloni recipe, start by preparing the vegetables, chopping the onion, the carrot, the eggplant, the mushrooms, the parsley.
- In a hot pan over a medium heat, in a little bit of vegetable oil, saute the onion until soft and translucent.
- Then add the carrot, cook for few minutes before adding the mushrooms and the eggplant, one at a time.
- Once the vegetables are nice and soft season the sauce, add the plum tomatoes, the water and the stock cube.
- Crash the tomatoes with the back of a wooden spoon so that they can be well mixed in the filling.
- Add the sweet paprika and cook on low heat for about 20 minutes until most of the liquid has evaporated. Just before removing from the heat stir in the parsley.
- Transfer the filling in the piping bag to make filling the cannelloni easier.
- To make the bechamel start by melting the butter. Once it’s melted add in the flour and whisk continuously until the flour is well incorporated in the butter, than pour little by little the milk, again whisking continuously so that the sauce is thick and creamy. Grate the nutmeg in.
- Once the beshamel reaches the preferred consistency, which should take few minutes, remove from heat and start putting the casserole together.
- In a casserole dish spread some of the filling along with the tomato sauce. Fill the cannelloni, lay them one next to the other, top with beshamel and grated melting cheese.
- Bake in a 200C preheated oven for about 30 minutes, until golden brown. Enjoy!
For more details on how to make this recipe, check the video recipe below.