Making a beautiful and delicious empanadas with mushroom filling is all but difficult with this easy, anyone-can-do-it recipe! They need a handful of ingredients, little bit of time and plenty of love and care to become golden little bites of deliciousness – just what you want to serve to your loved ones.
ABOUT THE RECIPE
Yield: 18 empanadas
Prep time: 20 minutes
Baking time: 20 minutes
for the dough:
- 180 g./1 1/2 cup of flour
- 90g./1/3 cup cold butter
- 1 egg (separated)
- 120 ml/1/4 cup of milk
for the filling:
- 50 g./1/2 cup of cheese
- 150 g/1 cup mushrooms
- 1 onion
- knob of butter
- salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200C.
- Start by mixing the flour and the butter in a food processor, pulsing few times.
- Add the egg white and the milk and keep pulsing until the dough looks like wet breadcrumbs.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface and squeeze the dough just until it comes together in a round flat disk form.
- Let it sit aside while making the filling.
- For the filling chop the mushrooms and the onion and saute the in a hot pan with just a knob of butter.
- Season them according to taste.
- Let them simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Mix the grated cheese into the mushroom filling.
- Roll the dough and cut round shapes from it.
- Fill every circle with a spoonful of filling, as much as you can squeeze in, leaving a little edge to seal the dough using just a little water and a fork.
- Brush the espanadas with the remaining egg yolk and bake for about 20 minutes.
For more details on how to make this recipe, check the video recipe below.