Forget old boring dessert recipe… this recipe is modern and classic and exciting and of course delicious – molten lava cake, made with just a handful of ingredients, ready in minutes, so impressive and the perfect pair to a scoop of vanilla ice cream. No time to waste, let’s get into it.
ABOUT THE RECIPE
Yield: 4 small lava cakes
Prep time: 5 minutes
Baking time: 10 minutes
- 175 g. chocolate, I used semi-sweet
- 75 g. unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp. vanilla sugar
- 2 eggs + 2 egg yolks
- 30 g. flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- vegetable oil, to brush the ramekins
- cocoa powder to sprinkle on top (optional)
- ice cream and fresh fruit to serve it with (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 230C/450F
- To make the molten chocolate lava cake, start by chopping the chocolate and melting it with the butter, either in a microwave, in which case you should do it in 30 seconds increments, stirring after each increment, until you reach the desired smoothness, or you can melt it in a double boiler, placed over a gently simmering water.
- Once melted add in the rest of the ingredients (salt, sugar, eggs, flour), making sure to incorporate each ingredient before adding the next one.
- Brush the ramekins with vegetable oil or non stick spray and pour the batter in.
- Bake for no longer than 10 minutes.
- Serve with a scope of ice cream, some sprinkle of cocoa powder or icing sugar and some fruit on the side. Or maybe just on their own:)
For more details on how to make this recipe, check the video recipe below.