For all the poultry meat lovers out there, this citrus roasted chicken recipe is as simple and as tasty as it gets! The lovely caramelized oranges and lemons stuffed inside the chicken keep the meat not only soft and moist but also incredibly tender. It’s great idea for weekend family dinner served with lots of vegetables aside.
ABOUT THE RECIPE
Yield: 8 servings
Prep time: 15 minutes
Baking time: 1 hour
- 1 chicken (mine was 1.4kg)
- 1 orange
- 1 lemon
- 1 red onion
- ~2 knobs of butter
- salt, pepper to taste
- ~1 tsp. dry oregano (basil or rosemary work well too)
- vegetable to complement the chicken
- 1/2 cup water
- Start by preparing the filling by caramelizing the citrus fruit and the red onion cut into large chunks on a little nub of butter.
- Once the fruit is cooked for few minutes, remove it from the heat.
- To prepare the chicken start by seasoning the inside with generous sprinkle of salt, pepper and some dry oregano (basil or rosemary can be used instead).
- Push your fingers between the skin and the meat to create little pockets which you are gonna fill with small knobs of butter.
- Fill the chicken with the caramelized onion, orange and lemon and close the opening either by piercing it with wet wooden stick or by sawing it with some kitchen string (considering that the filling has large chunks of fruit, leaking is very unlikely, therefore whichever method you use to close the chicken will be fine).
- Season the outside of the chicken with salt, pepper and dry oregano than place the chicken on top of carrots (or potatoes) lined in a baking tin.
- Add other vegetables which you’d like to serve along with the chicken in the baking tin (I always choose mushrooms).
- Pour the water in the baking tin, cover with aluminum foil and bake in a 200C preheated oven for 30 minutes, than remove the foil and continue cooking for another 30 minutes or until golden brown on top.
For more details on how to make this recipe, check the video recipe below.