Beetroot and chocolate, it just so happens that the two go surprisingly well together! The combination results in perfectly light, moist and really tasty gluten-free dessert. It truly is a wonderful discovery in the world of cakes and sweets.
ABOUT THE RECIPE
Yield: 16 servings
Prep time: 15 minutes
Baking time: 45 minutes
For the cake:
- 200 g. chocolate
- 250 g. shredded fresh beetroot
- 3 large eggs
- 100 g. grounded almonds
- 120 g. powdered sugar
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tbsp. cocoa powder
- 200 ml. cream
- 200 g. chocolate
- Knob of butter
- 1 tsp. vanilla sugar
- some grounded almonds
- Preheat your oven to 180 C/365F
- Start by melting the chocolate and adding the shredded beetroot in it.
- Mix shortly and add in the egg yolks and the remaining dry ingredients (almonds, sugar, baking powder, cocoa powder).
- Stir until all the ingredients are well combined together.
- In a clean bowl, whisk the egg whites until firm picks are formed.
- Gradually add the egg whites into the chocolate mixture, stirring gently with a spatula.
- Pour the mixture in a well-greased, floured and lined with baking paper 20 in. round spring-form pan.
- Bake it for about 45 minutes.
- In the meantime, to make the chocolate ganache, mix the cream with the chocolate in a double boiler just so that the chocolate starts to melt.
- Then remove it from the boiler and leave it aside for few minutes, stirring every minute or so.
- Stir in the butter and the vanilla sugar.
- Once the cake is baked and had a chance to cool down a bit, pour the ganache on top of it and spread it evenly across the entire cake.
- Decorate with the almonds.
- Let the cake cool down a little more before slicing and enjoying it. The cake can be served both warm and cold. When warm it is beautifully moist and comforting, and when cold the ganache has had the chance to set well which makes the cake a wonderful chocolate treat we all crave.
For more details on how to make this recipe, check the video recipe below.